Frequently Asked Questions in visa matters

Do I need an appointment?

Yes! Applications can only be handed in with a prior appointment which can be booked free of charge online at

I need to cancel my appointment date, how do I do that?

For cancelation of appointments please send a copy of the confirmation e-mail you have received after booking yourappointment together with a scanned copy of your passport to manama%27%diplo%27%de,info . The Embassy will then cancel the appoinment and you can book a new one at

By taking the time to cancel your appointments you will enable other travelers to get an early appoinment. Thank you.

When should I apply for my visa?

You should apply a minimum of 2 weeks in advance for your visa before your travel date. It is possible to apply 3 months in advance of your intended date of departure.

How long does it take to get a Schengen visa?

Depending on your nationality and main travel destination the process takes between 4 to 15 calendar days.

Do I need to apply in person?

You will need to come to the Embassy for a 10-digit finger scan if your fingers have not been scaned when applying for a Schengen visa in the past (applications after October 2, 2012 only). Frequent travellers to the Schengen Area do not have to give new finger scans every time they apply for a new visa. Once finger scans are stored in the Visa Information System (VIS), they can be re-used for further visa applications for a 5-year-perion. The applicant then does in general not need to come in person to the Embassy to apply for the visa. The Embassy can however always request personal appearance of any applicant.

Do my children need to come to the Embassy for fingerprinting?

10-digit finger scans are not required from children under the age of 12 or from people are physically cannot provide finger scans.

Once I get my visa, am I guaranteed entry into the Schengen area?

The visa does not guarantee entry into the Schengen area. The requirements for entering are checked again at your point of entry by immigration officials. Travelers are therfore advised to carry copies of documents (hotel bookings, invitation, insurance, etc) submitted with the visa application and provide them to Immigration officials upon request.

Can I use my Schengen visa issued by the German Embassy to make trips to other Schengen states?

Yes, in general you can as long as you do not change your main travel destination.

According to the present regulation a Schengen visa is - unless stated otherwise - valid for the following countries:

Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Hungary, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

My visa will expire during my stay in Germany, what do I have to do?

If your visa will expire during the time you plan your trip, you will need to apply for a new visa before you travel as a visa can in general not be extended after entering the Schengen states! However, in case of emergencies (medical treatment, hospital stays, etc) you have to contact the respective alien's authority (Ausländerbehörde) to extend your visa before it expires. It is important not to overstay your visa and have it extended before it expires to avoid fines and possibly expulsion and denial of entry/visa in the future.

My passport will expire soon, can I still apply for a visa?

The passport should be valid for more than 3 months than your intended stay.

I need my passport for traveling to a non-Schengen country immediately after applying for the Schengen visa. How long does the Embassy need to keep my passport?

The original passport needs to be presented at the time of the application. In case you need to travel and cannot leave your passport in the Embassy for the processing time you can get it back immediately after filing the application in person. After the visa has been approved you need to resubmit the passport for the issue of the visa for usually 1 day.

Do I need to use the VIDEX-application form or can I complete the application form by hand?

By using the VIDEX-application form you will reduce the time needed for processing your visa application considerably and therefore decrease your waiting time at the Embassy. You can however also print out the application form and complete it by hand (English or German only).

If I want to travel to several Schengen countries, which Embassy do I have to approach?

You must apply at the Embassy of the country which is your main travel destination.  The main travel destination is usually the country where you will spend most of your time. Please note that the stays in the countries are counted individually per country and are not added up.

main travel destination
where to apply
Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Germany, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Slovenia and Iceland
German Embassy
France, Portugal, Spain, Greece, Austria
French Embassy
Italy, Malta
Italian Embassy
Swiss Embassy in Kuwait
Denmark or Danish Embassy in Riyadh
Czeck Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia
please contact their respective Embassies in Egypt, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and the UAE

You can find the contact details of the Embassies here

I booked a tour and will travel to several Schengen countries and will spend an equal amount of days in each Schengen country! Where do I apply?

In that case you apply at the Embassy of the country of your first entry into the Schengen zone.

I need to speak to somebody about a visa question, I cannot find the answer to my question on this website.

For inquires you can write an email to: manama%27%diplo%27%de,info or by using the contact formular.

Where is the Embassy located?

You will find a map and the address here

I am a student and have no personal income. What document can I bring to prove financial means?

Please ask the person who is providing financial support for you to write a letter stating all expenses will be taken care of by him/her, with the signature, the passport copy and bank statement.

Can I send a messenger to collect my visa?

Yes, you can send a messenger to collect your passport. Please make sure the messenger carries the original receipt as well as his or her ID.

Please Note: Although the information on this website has been prepared with utmost care, the Embassy cannot accept any liability for inaccuracies contained herein.


FAQ Computer Keys In Blue Showing Information

Time and weather in Germany

02:30:49 -3 °C
Deutscher Wetterdienst

Frequently Asked Questions regarding visa matters

FAQ Computer Keys In Blue Showing Information

Here you will find the most frequently asked questions (FAQ) regarding visa matters.

Issuance of visa on behalf of Schengen Member States not represented in the Kingdom of Bahrain (only short term visas up to 90 days)


To avoid any inconveniences, kindly note the competencies of the Schengen Member States represented in the Kingdom of Bahrain concerning the submission of visa applications. The German Embassy can only accept visa applications if the main destination is as follows: Belgium, Finland, Germany, Iceland, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Slovenia, Sweden.

Obligation to declare cash in amounts of EUR 10,000 or more entering or leaving the EU

All travellers entering or leaving the European Union with €10,000 or more in cash must declare the sum to Customs from 15 June 2007. This initiative has been taken to assist the efforts being made at EU level to tackle crime and improve security by cracking down on money laundering, terrorism and criminality.

Application for a Residence Permit (stay over 90 days in Germany)

You plan to work, study or settle in Germany and you intend to stay over 90 days? Here you will find the application form for a Residence Permit. Kindly note that upon approval by the German aliens office you will be issued with a visa valid for 90 days, single entry only by this Embassy. Your residence permit will be issued by the German authorities upon registration.

CITES - Protection of species of plants and animals from extinction


Alongside the destruction of habitats, the economic exploitation of animals and plants is one of the greatest dangers facing the animal and plant worlds. The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora, in short the Washington Convention, is a legally binding international agreement dating from 1973 to protect endangered species of animals and plants. It is also known internationally as CITES Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species.